Georgia is situated in Caucasus between Black and Caspian Seas. It occupies about 70 thousand sq. m. territory, population is 5 mln. Georgia is mainly a mountainous country. The highest part of Great Caucasus is located on its territory. The shortest sea and land routes are passing to many countries via Georgia. Our small Christian nation, connecting Europe and Asia is renowned for its many years history, plenty of cultural and historical monuments, beautiful nature, tasteful meal, vintage wines, rich original culture and traditions. Here live the most cordial and hospitable people in the world.
Georgia is one of the rapidly developing and growing tourist regions. Everything is on its territory – beautiful mountains and waterfalls, natural mineral waters, transparent springs, sea, alpine lakes, great and deep canyons, botanical gardens and caves. Here you will see footprints of dinosaurs, cover of endemic plants and forests, state nature reserves, protected areas included in the list of world heritage. All of the aforesaid with several thousand natural and historical monuments deeply impress visitors and provoke their sincere admiration.
Ancient Greek legend about campaign of Argonauts to fairy Colchis for the Golden Fleece is worldwide known. The Golden Fleece is a symbol of wealth and power of Georgia (Colchis). Yet in the 6th century B.C. was established the first Georgian state – Colchis and following it – Iberia. Ancient Greek people used to call it so. The wealthy Colchis was well known in the centers of European culture of that time. It is stated by written sources of Greek historians, writers, travelers and scientists. Georgia is orthodox Christian country that converted to Christian religion far back in the 4th century. Facilities of UNESCO world heritage are located on the territory of Georgia: Svetitskhoveli, Djvari, Bagrati Cathedral, Gelati Monastery, Upper Svaneti. As of 2015, 16 facilities located on the territory of Georgia are amongst the candidates of the list of world heritage, but Bolnisi Sioni, Vardzia and others are already included in the treasury of world architecture.
There are 5 ancient artefacts from Georgia that changed the world:
* In the 90s of the last century on the territory of our country was found out a real sensation – female and male bones, whose age amounted about 1,8 mln. years old. Scientists named these new species as Homo Georgicus (“Georgian Human”) and proved that these are ancient species of Human after those ones found out in Africa and this means that European civilization originated in Georgia, namely Georgia is Europeans homeland.
* Earthenware pot “Kvevri” dated back to the 6th century B. C. from central Georgia with the remains of grape seed in it stated that Georgia is homeland of viniculture. Yet 8 thousand years ago, our ancestors managed to invent viniculture. Mankind changed age-old method of viniculture and at present we continue production of wine the same way alike our ancestors. Thanks to aforesaid, our traditional method of viniculture is included into the list of immaterial heritage of UNESCO.
* 50 km away from Tbilisi, from capital of Georgia were opened tunnels, where ancient miners used to mine for gold. Scientist determined the age of manufacture – IV thousand B. C. !!! Nowadays these are the oldest golden mines throughout the world, even the oldest than the ancient Egyptian ones. Many artefacts were also found out into the tunnels: pottery and instruments. So, the oldest golden mines throughout the world being Georgian for 6 thousand years.
* Metallurgy and blacksmith’s work – 5 thousand years – when is mentioned a place, where was invented metallurgy that is indistinctly mentioned by archeologists as Western Asia and India, where at the turn of the II-I centuries B.C. already everywhere were used iron tools. Bu the Bible unambiguously mentions that the representatives of ancient Georgian tribe Tubal invented metallurgy and blacksmith’s work! And next the distinguished items of Georgian masters divided according to the connoisseur from Assyria, Mesopotamia and Greece. This theory is also traced in myths: hero of ancient Georgian epos Knight Amirani (by the way as a prototype of Prometheus) – son of goddess of hunting Dali and mortal man – taught people how to forge iron. It is acknowledged and toponymical statements also state that for example, the name of place Sarkine is translated from Georgian as “place of iron”.
* The first thread throughout the world – 34 thousand years – approximately in the Upper Paleolithic epoch on the territory of present west Georgia a man invented the thread. Seemingly it was usual invention, but it changed many things, letting our ancestors to weave and repair clothes, produce footwear and be surrounded with simple items of interior. Generally, one more short step to the modern civilization made by mankind on the territory of our nation. Before aforesaid finding near Imereti Region the oldest thread was considered the finding made from nettle found out in Czech Republic. But Georgian linen thread found out in 2007 is almost 5 thousand years older!
Pretty soon this “quintuple” may be supplemented by one more item: not far away from resort Borjomi the archeologist found out buried bee keeper with jars, where were kept 3 different kinds of honeys. Age of honey amounted 5,5 thousand years and it is 2 thousand years older than the oldest honey, found out into the tomb of Egyptian Pharaoh Tutankhamun.
There are also many other interesting facts from the development history of Georgia. In the 11th -12th centuries in Georgia were functioning two academies: in Gelati and Ikalto and earlier before it – School of Philosophy in Phasis (present city Poti). Scientific centers of Georgian culture also existed abroad – in Greece, Syria, Palestine and Bulgaria. Exactly these centers of culture facilitated development of national culture, science and philosophy in the 11th -12th centuries. Georgian writing originated as far back as in the 3rd century B. C. by Pharnavaz the King of United Georgia. There are 14 writings in the world and one of them is Georgian. The first monument of fiction “Martyrdom of Shushanik” written by Jacob Tsurtaveli was written in the 5th century. The poem of great Georgian poet Shota Rustaveli “The Knight in the Panther’s Skin” written in the 7th century was included in the treasury of world fiction.
History of Georgia – it is many years fight of Georgian nation with its innumerable enemies. Georgian nation always was fighting for the freedom and independence. For thousands years used to be created the best national features of the nation: patriotism, knightly heroism, faithfulness to friendship, hospitality, poetic spirit and others. Excellent period of prosperity of Georgian national culture and history is considered the 11th -12th centuries – the period during the reign of the most honored Georgian King David the Builder (Aghmashenebeli) and his great granddaughter, King Tamar. That time Georgia occupied the greatest territory, but now the most part of it with its many Georgian monuments of architecture and culture are on the territory of other countries.
At present more than 100 interesting tourism facilities are located in Georgia. We have chosen top tour itineraries that can be visited via comfortable tourist transport accompanied by certified guides, who can speak in some languages. Besides automobile and bus tours, according to the desire we will plan for you walking, horseback riding, cycling and jeep tours. We have tour packages for summer and winter holidays at mountain and seam resorts of Georgia. Our gallery of SIGHTS will help you to quickly and exactly choose route or tour.
Team of Invenio Travel is waiting for your visit with its best wishes!!!